- This page covers facts and in-depth game usage of the character, Kratos Aurion. For a comprehensive reference list of in-game commands, see Command List: Kratos Aurion.
Kratos Aurion (クラトス・アウリオン Kuratosu Aurion) is the sixth character from Tales of Symphonia to be playable in ACS. He is skilled far beyond his appearance in years; capable of both using and combining Magical and Physical attacks. His primary element is Wind, though he is capable of using almost every element in some way.
His sprites, which originated from Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 3 are modified in ACS to have Kratos wield the Flamberge, his signature weapon from Tales of Symphonia.
- 580 HP total.
- Though this character is based off of Zelos Wilder, the two function quite differently. Do NOT assume that the same things that work with Zelos will work with Kratos or vice-versa!
- Occasionally, Zelos's sprites overlap Kratos's sprites. In the latest versions of ACS, this has been reduced to some air blocks, and being grabbed.
- When faced against Lloyd Irving, Kratos tells Lloyd that he must fight with all of his heart. Lloyd responds unwaveringly to Kratos's words. Kratos, satisfied with this response, beckons Lloyd to begin the fight. This is a reference to a scene in Symphonia, in which Lloyd was forced to kill Kratos (Though, he is shown mercy and allowed to live) in order to release the seal on the summon spirit, Origin.
- When faced against Zelos Wilder, Zelos speaks with introversion, doubting whether or not he is really prepared to fight this person. This is a reference to a scene in Symphonia, in which Zelos fights the player's party (Although, Kratos is not in the party at this time), and is killed off by them, if the player chose to speak to Kratos Aurion (or did not choose to speak to anyone altogether, in which case the same scene with Kratos Aurion occurs) during a crucial moment earlier in the story.
General Tips & UsageEdit
- Kratos is one of the most powerful characters in the game. His damage output is very high in the corner or with Overlimit. He outranges most of the cast, can approach with Shunjinken, and can play a very powerful keep-away game with aerial Majinkens and Majinken Sougas. His biggest trump card is the powerful Shugohoujin, a rewarding and almost no-risk move that is useful in almost every close range situation.
- Kratos has virtually no weaknesses, but at the same time he does not have any crutches. You cannot simply pick up Kratos and expect to be good; instinctive fundamentals and basic fighting game skills will be required.
- Kratos's melee mechanics differ from other characters, in that, instead of mashing A for a 3-hit combo, Kratos attacks in the format of alternating between A and B. In this way, Kratos is capable of chaining up to 6 melee attacks together. However, against a blocking opponent, this is reduced to 4.
- Some of Kratos's artes have higher guard-breaking potential than others. While this may sound nice, keep in mind, these artes are usually the weakest in their category, and very impractical due to other factors.
- Overlimit Lv1 gives Kratos access to some new Artes, and powers up some others. Overlimit Lv2 allows Kratos to ignore the chain orders and delays which exist with Base, Master, and Arcane Artes, as well as normal Melee strikes. Spam while you can!
- Kratos has a High Jump and a Long Jump . Long Forward Jumps overlap with the inputs of Majinken, Majinken Souga, and Gou Majinken. Surprise your opponent by cutting off or intercepting his aerial escape by performing a Long Forward Jump and then a mid-air Majinken (Simply press A during the ascent of the Long Forward Jump), and quickly follow up with Majinken Souga or another Air-Usable arte.
- Hit ↓ ↓ A in mid-air to stop all horizontal momentum and make Kratos immediately fall to the ground.
- His chain orders consist of:
- Melee > Base > Master > Arcane > Burst
- Melee > Base > Master > Arcane > Special
- Melee > Base > Master > Arcane > Mystic
As A BossEdit
- When fought in Mania difficulty and up, Kratos quite frankly cheats. He has the computer's standard absurdly fast command input and the ability to read the player's input (which usually manifests as perfectly timed Shining Binds), but he really becomes absurd once his HP is low. When that happens, Kratos will permanently enter Overlimit Lv2 and proceed to either obliterate the player with a long string of attacks or take advantage of his instant spell casts to spam Thunder Blade and Lightning.
- In the case that Kratos is fought at the same time as someone else (such as Rid Hershell's Chaos Mode), it is quite possible for the battle to become unwinnable if Kratos has entered his berserk state. As such, it's best to treat boss Kratos like Barbatos; build up TP during the first part of the fight to defeat Kratos in one massive combo and skip his berserk state.
|← F||Shihna Fujibayashi: Raiden||-|
|↓ F||Overlimit Lv2||-|
- Majinken (Demon Fang)
- Shunjinken (Sonic Thrust)
- Senkuureppa (Light Spear) or (Tornado Drive)
- Kratos performs an upwards twirl, approximately .8 screen height, followed by an angular downward strike.
- TTS is instant, TTL is long.
- Cancel-able at the height of the jump.
- The Spell Lightning can be chained with instant TTS to this Arte.
- If the twirl is blocked, Kratos usually lands behind the opponent without hitting him/her on the way down.
- If done in the air and the downward strike portion connects with an airborne enemy, they will say in hitstun till they reach the ground.
- Senkoushou (Glare Fang)
- Kratos summons a small pillar of light energy from the ground at an 80º angle, which covers about .7 screen height.
- A good anti-air. If this connects on an airborne opponent, Kratos can score a combo afterwards.
- Can be combined with Eruption in Overlimit to reset the chain order.
- TTS is instant, TTL is moderate.
- Majinken Souga (Double Demon Fang)
- Gou Majinken (Fierce Demon Fang)
- Fuujinken (Hurricane Thrust)
- Senkuu Shoureppa (Victory Light Spear) or (Cyclone Drive)
- Raijinken (Lightning Blade)
- Gurenken (Hell Pyre)
- Souen Shougazan
- Raisenken (Lightning Slash)
- Senkou Tsuijinga (Light Spear Cannon)
- Fuuraijinken (Super Lightning Blade)
- Majin Senkuuha (Demon Spear)
- Shugohoujin (Guardian Field)
- Kratos forms a large pillar of light beams around himself, which hurts anyone other than himself inside it.
- Extremely safe on block. Outside of the corner, Kratos will recover about half a second before the enemy gets pushed out of the field. In the corner, the opponent will be stuck blocking for two whole seconds after Kratos recovers.
- If the hit counter does not exceed 14 hits, Kratos can reset his chain order with anything in a corner.
- Works as a good anti-air as well, and can net a combo if it connects.
- Costs TP.
- TTS is short, TTL is based on combo hit count.
- Shugohoujin heals 5 HP on startup.
- This is arguably Kratos's most important arte.
- Hyougajin (Glacial Blade)
- First Aid
- Kratos uses the power of his Mana to heal minor wounds.
- TTS is moderate.
- Thunder Blade
- Kratos summons a large sword made of electric energy to drop onto his opponent, followed by an aftershock on the ground.
- TTS is short.
- Gáe Bulg
- Kratos summons the Legendary Spear of Striking Death, bathed in light, to drop onto his opponent, followed by scattering stars.
- TTS is short.
- TTS has 3 hits of Hidden Penetrate.
- Gáe Bulg ignores blocking entirely; however, the stars which scatter after Gáe Bulg are blockable.
- If Kratos is below 165 HP, you do not need OVL to use this technique.
- Kratos summons sacred, purifying beams of light to rain down on the field. Rest in peace, sinners!
- TTS is very long.
- TTS has 15 hits of Hidden Penetrate.
- If Kratos is below 180 HP, casting time is reduced.
- If any Arte has been used twice in the same combo, you can chain this spell with instant TTS after any attack in the same combo. Note that this will automatically end the combo.
- Shihna Fujibayashi appears and throws two flaming cards across 1 screen length. Each card lifts the opponent into the air, similar to Fuujinken and Fuuraijinken.
- You can use this after an Overlimit Burst to reset the chain order. After summoning Sheena, use Majinken Shunga for the proper timing.
- TTS is short and uninterruptible.
- Refill Sage combines Holy Lance with Kratos's Shunjinken. Kratos's fires a more powerful version of Raisenken.
- Refill Sage does not appear during this attack.
- TTS is short and uninterruptible.
- Gungnir applies Confirmed status to the opponent for the Arte's duration.
- You can not chain this Arte after any of the following:
- Zanma Kuugashou (Power Thrust)
- Shihna Fujibayashi combines Sanrikifu with Kratos's Shunjinken. Kratos delivers a long, powerful forward strike. He travels approximately .66 of screen length.
- If Kratos is below 100 HP, power is raised to 150.
- Shining Bind (Holy Binds)
- Kratos makes his opponent struggle against his holy chains.
- TTS is instant.
- Shining Bind applies Confirmed status to an unblocking opponent for the Arte's duration.
- If Shining Bind 's Confirmed hit is blocked, both players are Disabled for a short time.
- If Shining Bind 's Confirmed hit misses, the user is Disabled for a short time.
- Hold ↓ before the cut-in appears to get the Radiant Mythology 2 cut-in, instead of the Symphonia version.
- If Kratos is in OVL when the cut-in appears, cut-in is changed to the Vesperia version.
- If Kratos is in OVL during the final hit of Shining Bind, power is raised to 186.
Easy Combos Edit
- 6 Hits Melee (ABABAB) > Senkuureppa > Raijinken/Gou Majinken > Fuuraijinken > Shining Bind
- Standard Easy Kratos combo. Can be done anywhere, combo inputs are real fluid, time between chain legality is good and long. Only problem is: It's weak.
- 4 Hits Melee (ABAB) > Gou Majinken > Gurenken/Shugohoujin | (Fuuraijinken > Zanma Kuugashou/Shining Bind)
- Standard Easy Kratos out to a block. If Gou Majinken doesn't Guard Break and you have no TP, use Gurenken in hopes of getting out alive. If Gou Majinken doesn't Guard Break and you have some TP, use Shugohoujin and get out of there. If Gou Majinken does Guard Break, use Fuuraijinken and then Zanma Kuugashou or Shining Bind, if you have the TP for it.
- Shunjinken > Fuujinken > Fuuraijinken/Gurenken
- Use this combo only to cross the field very quickly and catch your opponent off guard with one of the last hits; be warned, if Shunjinken hits, you must follow up VERY FAST or you may be hit back. You can do this in the air as well; if so, substitute Gurenken for Fuuraijinken.
Intermediate Combos Edit
- 4 Hits Melee (ABAB) > Majinken > Gou Majinken > Gurenken/Shugohoujin | Majin Senkuuha/Raisenken/(Raisenken > Shining Bind)
- The combo to use when your opponent blocks. If Gou Majinken does not Guard Break, follow with Gurenken (if at 0 TP) or, preferably, Shugohoujin, in hopes of creating enough space to be able to block or get out of harms way. If Gou Majinken does Guard Break, follow it up with either Majin Senkuuha (0 TP), Raisenken (some TP), or Raisenken and then Shining Bind (Against a wall only), depending on your TP budget.
- 6 Hits Melee (ABABAB) > Senkuureppa > Lightning > Senkoushou > Majin Senkuuha
- Unblocked, this combo does the most damage possible in one string without depending on a wall for 0 TP cost. It also gets them closer to that wall, which is where you always want your opponent.
- 6 Hits Melee (ABABAB) > Senkuureppa > Lightning > Senkuu Shoureppa > Majin Senkuuha
- Unblocked, this combo does the most damage possible against a wall for 0 TP cost. Use it if you get your opponent pinned against the wall but you don't have the TP budget yet to let loose.
- 6 Hits Melee (ABABAB) > Senkuureppa > Lightning > Majinken Souga > Fuuraijinken/Raisenken > Shining Bind
- Unblocked, this combo does the most damage possible in one standard string. If you are not against a wall, Fuuraijinken will chain into Shining Bind. If you are against a wall, Raisenken will do more damage and still chain into Shining Bind.
- 4 Hits Melee (ABAB) > Lightning > Majinken Souga > Shugohoujin > 6 Hits Melee (ABABAB) > Senkuureppa > Lightning > Majinken Souga > Raisenken > Shining Bind
- 30 Hit Combo, 167 HP damage (before Shining Bind)
- 45 Hit Combo, 317 HP damage (after Shining Bind)
- You can use this combo on a non-blocking opponent against a wall to knock off a meaty chunk of HP, even if you can't yet afford Shining Bind.
Advanced Combos Edit
- Combos beyond this point both require and assume that you are doing them against the wall and you have a large enough TP budget to support some TP-costing Artes, as well as Shining Bind.
- 4 Hits Melee (ABAB) > Lightning > Majinken Souga > Shugohoujin > 6 Melee Hits (ABABAB) > Senkuureppa > Lightning > Majinken Souga > Souen Sougazan > OVL1 > 6 Melee Hits (ABABAB) > Senkuureppa > Lightning > Majinken Souga > Raisenken > Shining Bind
- 67 Hit Combo, 420 total damage
- Hardest part of this combo is Majinken Souga > Shugohoujin > 6 Melee Hits (ABABAB). Both windows of chaining between steps here is EXTREMELY SHORT, so you must be VERY FAST to pick them up or else you will drop the combo. The other part to look out for is Majinken Souga > Raisenken > Shining Bind; the chaining windows here are also pretty short.
- 1 Hit Melee (A) > Senkuureppa > Lightning > Fuujinken > Shugohoujin > 6 Melee Hits (ABABAB) > Senkuureppa > Lightning > Fuujinken > Senkou Tsuijinga > OVL1 > 6 Melee Hits (ABABAB) > Senkuureppa > Lightning > Fuujinken > Senkou Tsuijinga > Shining Bind
- 71 Hit Combo, 413 total damage
- A substantially easier, but less damaging variation of the above combo. All you really need to worry about here is Shugohoujin > 6 Melee Hits (ABABAB).
- 4 Melee Hits (ABAB) > Lightning > Majinken Souga > Shugohoujin > 6 Melee Hits (ABABAB) > Senkuureppa > Lightning > Fuujinken > Senkou Tsuijinga > OVL2 > Fuuraijinken *11 > Senkuureppa > Lightning > Majinken Souga > Raisenken > Shining Bind
- 82 Hit Combo, 485 total damage
- Kratos's most powerful combo.
Max Hit Combos Edit
- Senkūreppa > Gō Majinken > Shugōhōjin > 6 Melee Hits (ABABAB) > Senkūreppa > Lightning > Gō Majinken > Senkō Tsuijinga ((OVL2)) Gō Majinken * 14 (Repeating as fast as possible, watch for hit #93 to stop spamming) > 1 Melee Hit > Senkūreppa > Lightning > Gō Majinken > Senkō Tsuijinga > Shining Bind
- 126 Hit Combo, 401 total damage, approx. 30 seconds.
- Quick Input Version: 24a > 26c > 22b > a > b > a > b > a > b > 24a > 264c > 26c > 24d > 2f > 26c(*14) > a > 24a > 264c > 26c > 24d > 246e
- All you really need to worry about in this combo is Shugohoujin > 6 Melee Hits (ABABAB) and getting in that one hit after the Gō Majinken spam in OVL2, though, at this point in the combo, the heavy combo proration makes it only add 1 hit and 1 damage.
- Thunder Blade > Shunjinken > Senkōshō > Shugōhōjin > 6 Melee Hits (ABABAB) > Senkūreppa > Lightning > Gō Majinken > Senkō Tsuijinga ((OVL2)) Gō Majinken * 14 (Repeating as fast as possible, watch for hit #93 to stop spamming) > 1 Melee Hit > Senkūreppa > Lightning > Gō Majinken > Senkō Tsuijinga > Shining Bind
- 126 Hit Combo, 437 total damage, approx. 35 seconds
- Quick Input Version: 646d > 646a > 22a > 22b > a > b > a > b > a > b > 24a > 264c > 26c > 24d > 2f > 26c(*14) > a > 24a > 264c > 26c > 24d > 246e
- A more powerful, but harder variation of the above combo. Hard parts of this combo are Shunjinken, Shugōhōjin > 6 Melee Hits (ABABAB), and getting in that one hit after the Gō Majinken spam in OVL2, though, at this point in the combo, the heavy combo proration makes it only add 1 hit and 1 damage. These TTL's are EXTREMELY SHORT!
Instant Kill Combo Edit
- Manjushage > Thunder Blade > 2 Melee Hits (AB) > Senkoushou > 6 Melee Hits (ABABAB) > Senkuureppa > Lightning > Gou Majinken > Souen Shougazan > Overlimit Lv1 > (6 Melee Hits (ABABAB) > Senkuureppa > Lightning > Eruption [Note 1] > Senkoushou) X2 > 6 Melee Hits (ABABAB) > Senkuureppa > Lightning > Gou Majinken > Souen Shougazan > Overlimit Lv1 > (6 Melee Hits (ABABAB) > Senkuureppa > Lightning > Eruption [Note 1] > Senkoushou) X2 > 6 Melee Hits (ABABAB) > Senkuureppa > Lightning > Gou Majinken > [Note 2] > Shining Bind
- Quick Input Version:
- →D > →←→ D > A > B > ↓↓ A > A > B > A > B > A > B > ↓← A > ↓→ ← C > ↓→ C > ↓←→ C > F > (A > B > A > B > A > B > ↓← A > ↓→ ← C > ↓→ ← A [Note 1] > ↓↓ A) X2 > A > B > A > B > A > B > ↓← A > ↓→ ← C > ↓→ C > ↓←→ C > F > (A > B > A > B > A > B > ↓← A > ↓→ ← C > ↓→ ← A [Note 1] > ↓↓ A) X2 > A > B > A > B > A > B > ↓← A > ↓→ ← C > ↓→ C > [Note 2] > ↓←→ E
- Around 151 - 160 Hit Combo. Hit count varies depending on what you use as your final arcane art and how many hits Senkoushou lands.
- Damage instantly kills Kakashi Scarecrow (500 HP).
- As of 11/18/16, minor tweaks to the combo yields a new high of 202 hits.
- Good amount of TP maybe Half.
- Enough Overlimit that by the end of the first Souen Shougazan you'll have two full bars.
- Note 1: Timing is essential to connect Eruption to Senkoushou.
- Note 2: Do whatever arcane arte you want here. All that matters is that you can connect it to Shining Bind.
- Quick Input Version:
Kratos has a total of 5 Story Modes, ranging from Easy to Unknown. Note that all modes including and preceding Hard feature opponents that come in "Rounds", meaning that the field, positions, and statistics (HP and otherwise) will reset once an opponent is defeated. Modes after Hard feature opponents that come one after another, meaning that the fields, positions, and statistics of your character will not reset once an opponent has been defeated. However, 100 HP is refunded whenever an opponent is defeated.
- Mary Agent
- Shing Meteoryte
- Lloyd Irving
- Dhaos (2 Rounds)
- Mithos Yggdrasill (Only upon defeat of Dhaos with a 2-0 record)
- Hugo Gilchrist (Upon defeat of Dhaos)
- Synch & Six God-Generals (Upon defeat of Hugo Gilchrist)
- Shizel (Upon defeat of Synch & Six God-Generals)
- Gelda Nebilim (Upon defeat of Shizel)
- Hugo Gilchrist (Upon defeat of Gelda Nebilim)
- Synch & Six God-Generals (Upon defeat of Hugo Gilchrist)
- Alexei Dinoia (Upon defeat of Synch & Six God-Generals)
In ACS, Kratos has three cut-ins.
- Tales of Symphonia
- Tales of Vesperia
- Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 2